Labels: GE2321 COMMUNICATION SKILLS LABORATORY Syllabus
GE2321 COMMUNICATION SKILLS LABORATORY
(Fifth / Sixth Semester) (Common to all branches of B.E / B.Tech Programmes)
Globalisation has brought in numerous opportunities for the teeming millions, with more focus on the students’ overall capability apart from academic competence. Many students, particularly those from non-English medium schools, find that they are not preferred due to their inadequacy of communication skills and soft skills, despite possessing sound knowledge in their subject area along with technical capability. Keeping in view their pre-employment needs and career requirements, this course on Communication Skills Laboratory will prepare students to adapt themselves with ease to the industry environment, thus rendering them as prospective assets to industries. The course will equip the students with the necessary communication skills that would go a long way in helping them in their profession.
To equip students of engineering and technology with effective speaking and listening skills
To help them develop their soft skills and interpersonal skills, which will make the transition
from college to workplace smoother and help them excel in their job.
To enhance the performance of students at Placement Interviews, Group Discussions and
other recruitment exercises.
A. English Language Lab (18 Periods)
1. Listening Comprehension:
Listening and typing – Listening and sequencing of sentences – Filling in the blanks -Listening and answering questions.
2. Reading Comprehension:
Filling in the blanks - Close exercises – Vocabulary building - Reading and answering questions.
Phonetics: Intonation – Ear training - Correct Pronunciation – Sound recognition exercises – Common Errors in English.
Conversations: Face to Face Conversation – Telephone conversation – Role play activities (Students take on roles and engage in conversation
B. Viewing and discussing audio-visual materials (6 periods)
(Samples are available to learn and practice)
1. Resume / Report Preparation / Letter Writing 1
Structuring the resume / report - Letter writing / Email Communication - Samples.
2. Presentation skills:
Elements of effective presentation – Structure of presentation - Presentation tools – Voice Modulation – Audience analysis - Body language – Video samples
3. Soft Skills:
Time management – Articulateness – Assertiveness – Psychometrics –
Innovation and Creativity - Stress Management & Poise - Video Samples
4. Group Discussion:
Why is GD part of selection process ? - Structure of GD – Moderator – led and other GDs -Strategies in GD – Team work - Body Language - Mock GD -Video samples
5. Interview Skills:
Kinds of interviews – Required Key Skills – Corporate culture – Mock interviews-Video samples.
I. PC based session (Weightage 40%) 24 periods
II. Practice Session (Weightage – 60%) 24 periods
1. Resume / Report Preparation / Letter writing: Students prepare their (2)
own resume and report.
2. Presentation Skills: Students make presentations on given topics. (8)
3. Group Discussion: Students participate in group discussions. (6)
4. Interview Skills: Students participate in Mock Interviews (8)
1. Anderson, P.V, Technical Communication, Thomson Wadsworth , Sixth
Edition, New Delhi, 2007.
2. Prakash, P, Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning, Macmillan India Ltd., Second
Edition, New Delhi, 2004.
3. John Seely, The Oxford Guide to Writing and Speaking, Oxford University
Press, New Delhi, 2004.
4. Evans, D, Decisionmaker, Cambridge University Press, 1997.
5. Thorpe, E, and Thorpe, S, Objective English, Pearson Education, Second Edition, New Delhi, 2007.
6. Turton, N.D and Heaton, J.B, Dictionary of Common Errors, Addision Wesley Longman Ltd., Indian reprint 1998.
1. Teacher console and systems for students.
2. English Language Lab Software
3. Career Lab Software
Requirement for a batch of 60 students
1. Server-1 No.
PIV system 1 GB RAM / 40 GB HDD
OS: Win 2000 server
Audio card with headphones (with
2. Client Systems- 60 No.
PIII or above
256 or 512 MB RAM / 40 GBHDD
OS: Win 2000
Audio card with headphones (with mike)
3. Handicam Video Camera (with video
lights and mic input) -1 No.
4. Television - 29” 1 No.
5. Collar mike 1 No.
6. Cordless mikes 1 No.
7. Audio Mixer 1 No.
8. DVD Recorder / Player 1 No.
9. LCD Projector with MP3 /CD /DVD provision for audio / video facility - Desirable 1 No.