TNPSC Group 1 Notes - Indian History
1. It was founded in 1347 by Abul Muzzaffar (Alauddin Hasan Bahman Shah) during the reign of Mohammad Bin Tughlaq.
2. He selected Gulbarga as his capital and named it Ahsanabad. He divided the empire into 4 tarfs, Gulbarga, Daultabad, Bidar, Berar.
3. Muhmud Gawan was in the court of Muhammad III. He captured Goa from Vijaynagar and looted the Kanchi templed. It is said about Mahmud Gawan that with the unjust execution of this old minister departed all cohesion of the Bahmani Kingdom.
1. It was founded by Harihar and Bukka in 1336. They had earlier served under the Kakatiya ruler of Warrangal, Prataprudra II. They got inspiration from Vidyaranya and Sayana, commentators served under Hoysalas (Veerballal III).
2. Devaraya I: He kept 10,000 Muslims in his army, being the first Vijaynagar king to do so. He faced invasions by Firuz Shah. He built a barrage across Tungabhadra and a dam on river Harihara.
3. Devaraya II: He was known as Gajabetekara, Proudha, Devaraya, etc. He sent a naval expedition against Srilanka. He wrote a commentary on Brahmasutra.
4. Krishnadeva Raya: He led a series of successful campaigns against the rebellious chiefs of Ummatur, Pratap Rudra of Orissa, Yusuf Adil Shah, Ismail Adil Shah. He invaded Gulbarga and Bidar, restored the Bahmani sultan to the throne and assumed the title ‘Yavanasthopanacharya’.
5. He was known as “Anjomava Njpka’, ‘Andhra Pitamaha’. ‘Andhra Bhoja’. He worte ‘Amuktamalayada’ in Telgu and Jambavati Kalyanam, in Sankrit. His cout was adorned by the ‘Astadiggajas’. Pedanna wrote, Manucharitam. Tenalirama wrote ‘Panduranga Mahamatyam.
6. He built a new city ‘Nagalapuram’ and Hazara temple and Vithalswamy temple.
7. Sadashiva Raya (1543-69): The real power laid in the hands of his miniter Rama Raya. The deccani sultans except Berar joined hands to defeat Vijaynagar in the famous battle of Talikota or Rakshasa Tangadi in 1565. The Vijayanagar government now shifted to Penukonda and later to Chandregiri which was made the capital by Venkat II.
Dynasty Founder Period
Sangama Harihar and Bukka 1336-1485
Saluva Saluva Narsimha 1485-1505
Tuluva Veer Narsima 1503-1570
Aravvidu Tirumala 1570-mid 17th Century
9. Nicolo Conti: He was a Venetian traveler who visited Vijaynagar during the reign of Devaraya I in 1420-21.
10. Abdur Razzak: He was the ambassador of Sultan Shah Rukh of Khurasan to the court of Devaraya II and stayed there for two years.
11. Domingos Paes: He visited Krishnadevaraya’s court in 1520-22.
12. Fernoa Nuniz: How came during Achyuta Rai’s reign.
13. Duarte Barbosa (1518): He was a Portuguese who visited Krishnadeva Raya’s court.
14. Athenasius Nikitin (1415): He was a Russian who visited during Devaraya I’s period. He wrote ‘voyage to India’.